Unconventionally, the striking beauty of the Wide Span Structure is held on the underbelly of the 3253sqmts fabric canopy. As an alternative to the visual clutter of trussed steel our design engineer developed a wishbone/leaning arch structural support configuration of large sections of heavy-duty pipe to span the project width of 42mts.
At a height of 9.5 mts, over the project length of 76 mts, the fabric canopy appears to hug the wishbone/leaning arch supports. Adding contrast to the canopy’s form, halfway between each wishbone/leaning arch support, cables tension the fabric creating a series of deep valleys.
The end result is dramatic: clean elegant design lines, combined with an undulating fabric line and soaring height creates an open expanse that has transformed the once exposed site into an iconic landmark within the region.
Our Wide Span Structure is an original copyright design developed by Design Engineer Trevor Scott and submitted in May 2011 in response to the Mooloolaba Bowls Club tender for a design proposal for a structure to cover the club’s two bowling greens (3253 sqmts).
Key features of this design include:
- ridge and valley style structure, formed by the combination of wishbone configuration/leaning arch sections supporting the membrane canopy. Valley cabling on the top surface of the membrane canopy running the across the width of the structure
- multiples of wishbone configuration/leaning arch supporting the tensile canopy, creating ridges and valleys;
- wishbone configuration/leaning arch sections creating triangular configurations from the centre attachment point to the outside edges of the arch members and perimeter frame;
- valley cables positioned on the top surface of the fabric canopy, creating valleys in the canopy stabilising the fabric and providing the ability to re-tension after a significant storm event.
- Low perimeter beam at both sides and ends of structure offering maximum weather protection.
- Light droppers extending from the wishbone configuration/leaning arch supporting the uplights allowing for shadow free night time use.